Thursday, September 13, 2007

The best laid plans of mice and women



Mommy said there would be orange juice this morning. At the market last night, I saw her pick up the oranges – we have a juicer at home. This was going to be the squizerd kind, not the poured from a box kind. When I was getting ready for school, I spent an extra long time combing my hair so mommy wouldn’t notice I just rinsed instead of brushed my teeth – the toothpaste makes the orange juice taste icky so I didn’t want to brush them especially not with toothpaste. As I was rinsing my mouth, I thought about the juice being squeezed, and it made my mouth go all tart and I had to spit out the water and then I started smacking my lips. I usually don’t like getting ready for school, but I was excited this morning because mommy said there would be orange juice.

I went down the stairs al skippy because I was so excited. I went into the kitchen, sort of hopping like a bunny but when I got in there I could see something was wrong. I didn’t see mommy. All of the stuff was laid out and if I stood way up on my tippy-toes I could see a glass under the juicer with just enough juice for a swallow. So then I went into the T.V. watching room and I could see mommy on the couch watching something that looked like news and she was sad because there were tears coming from her eyes.

I looked at the man on the T.V. to see if he could tell me shy mommy stopped making the orange juice but he couldn’t because all he was saying was about these airplanes that got high-jackered, and hit some tall buildings and I didn’t understand what that had to do with mommy not making the orange juice any more and if she didn’t hurry she couldn’t make it because she had to take me to school soon. I went to go sit in mommy’s lap, and she started playing with my hair and kept saying “Oh my God, oh my God”, like she was trying to say a prayer, but didn’t know what words to use. I looked back at the T.V. and decided that there wasn’t going to be any orange juice this morning.

No comments:

 

Blog Counter